AIRED: August 11, 2010 & September 29- 3 PM PST
TITLE: How technology has changed youth, parents and family relationships
SPECIAL GUEST: Vanessa Van Petten, Author and Youthologist
Youthologist and award-winning author, Vanessa Van Petten, joins Allen to explore how technology has changed youth, parents and family relationships. Is the next generation becoming socially illiterate? Are cell phones like virtual leashes? How can parents balance the modern age with keeping it simple and maintaining strong, deep communication when shallow communication abounds.
Vanessa Van Petten is one of the nation’s youngest experts on parenting and youth. She wrote her parenting book from the teen’s perspective, called “You’re Grounded!,” when she was just 17. After becoming a judge for the Mom’s Choice Awards and launching her popular parenting blog, she is now on a national speaking tour, reaching out to both parents and teenagers talking about what young people really wish adults knew about them.
Three rules we live by, and wish our parents would too!
- There are no ‘perfect parents’, formulas, easy answers or a ‘right’ way to parent. There is a right way for your family. We want to help you find your way.
- Live the You-Them-You Perspective. We promise to share our side, our stories and our secrets, to give you a glimpse into our world.
- Constantly challenge what we think we know. ‘Radical’ means to question the status quo and what isn’t working. This is how we grow as a family and as human beings.
We are not your typical parenting blog!
- Challenging: We don’t give formulas and easy steps, we push our readers and radical parents to a new kind of family interaction. Having harmonious families, means having happy teens, which leads to healthy adults.
- Community Parenting: We want to bring together parents and teens, parents and parents and teens and teens to help each other. We hope that our website can provide many forums and tools to find other readers like you.
- Confessions: Our under 18 year-old writers get to be anonymous and this lets us open up to you, our parent readers, in ways we wish we could open up to our parents. Our teen trendsetters behind the scenes constantly scour blogs, social networks and schools looking for radical teens willing to share and join our cause.
- Quality: We try very hard to make sure our articles, writers and tribe leaders believe in positive family values and our radical parenting principles. We promise to politely exclude those who hinder other community’s goals.
Youthologists: Today’s familynomics are rapidly changing and we hope to give you a crash course as well as continued insight into current trends and long-term generational shifts.