After four decades of training volunteers to offer comfort at the bedsides of the dying, psychologist and Shanti Project founder, Charles Garfield, has created an essential guide, Life’s Last Gift, for friends, family, and healthcare professionals who want to ease someone’s final days but don’t know how to begin.
Through Charles’ Nine Commitments, he provides an emotional lifeline for anyone who feels lost and filled with grief during this final stage of life.
The Nine Commitments:
- Commitment 1: I Will Listen from the Heart
- Commitment 2: I Will Speak from the Heart
- Commitment 3: I Will Act from the Heart
- Commitment 4: I Will Treat You with Empathy
- Commitment 5: I Will Value Small Acts of Kindness
- Commitment 6: I Will Listen to Your Stories
- Commitment 7: I Will Use My Pain to Connect with You
- Commitment 8: I Will Allow Love to Sustain and Heal Us Both
- Commitment 9: I Will Accompany You as Far as We Can Go Together
Join us as Charles presents practical advice about finding connection, honesty, and peace while being of the greatest service to those at the end of life. By focusing on the reciprocal and healing relationship between the living and the dying, which continues until the last breath, Life’s Last Gift offers a path toward clarity and wholeness, and even growth.
ABOUT CHARLES GARFIELD
Charles Garfield, PhD, is a psychologist, author, and founder of Shanti Project, a widely acclaimed AIDS and cancer service organization. A Clinical professor of psychology in the Department of Psychiatry at the University of California School of Medicine at San Francisco for nearly four decades and a fellow of the American Psychological Association, he is currently a research scholar at the Starr King School for the Ministry at the Graduate Theological Union in Berkeley