AIRED: September 15, 2010– 3 pm PST
TITLE: “TEEN VOICES” CREATE SOCIAL CHANGE WORLD-WIDE
SPECIAL GUEST: Jenny Amory, Executive Director of Teen Voices
Allen and Jenny Amory from Teen Voices discuss their intensive journalism mentoring and leadership development program for teen girls whose mission is to support and educate teen girls to amplify their voices and create social change through media.
Through its program, teen girls create Teen Voices and Teen Voices Online, two internationally distributed print and online social justice magazines reaching 45,000 readers and receiving 88,000 visitors from 177 countries annually.
Written by, for, and about teen girls, Teen Voices is positive, powerful, and empowering, amplifying teen girls’ real voices in a world filled with too much media focused on what girls look like – not what they think.
At Teen Voices, important topics center around:
- Media’s exploitation of girls and body image
- Gender equity gap in academic choices and success
- Gender equity gap in use of technology
- Lack of English/Language Arts-based opportunities for teens beyond school hours
- Fighting teen pregnancy rates
- Women, education and the job market